As part of our goal of advancing the well-being of Head Start children and their families, NHSA has undertaken the Data Design Initiative. The Data Design Initiative builds off of the 2016 “Moneyball for Head Start” report, which outlined a vision for continuous improvement using data, evidence, and evaluation to improve outcomes at all levels of Head Start. The revised Head Start Program Performance Standards embrace many of these principles, emphasizing the importance of bringing quality improvement to the field.
Despite the fact that Head Start programs generate a significant amount of data, much of it is not used to inform and improve practice. The Data Design Initiative aims to bring down the barriers that are hindering programs’ abilities to collect, analyze, and share data and other evidence. NHSA hopes to help make it possible for every staff member and program to learn from their own and others’ experience and collaborate to discover increasingly effective and cost-effective practices. This requires readily accessible, understandable, and easy-to-use data systems that, at the same time, protect individual privacy.
1. People Projects: Improving Staff and Other People's Capacity to Use Data to Improve on Multiple Dimensions within Head Start
2. Data Improvement Projects: Improving Quality and Type of Information Collected for Analysis
3. Information System Improvement Projects: Improving Technology and Communications
4. Knowledge and Learning Enhancement Projects: Finding, sharing, and building knowledge about effective practices and programs
5. Policy Projects: Finding and implementing effective ways to motivate continuous improvement
NHSA hopes to enlist other partners in making the changes needed to transform Head Start data into the insight-generating, performance-improving resource those data have the potential to be. NHSA welcomes suggestions, feedback, and involvement from those who see opportunities for refining this content and bringing this vision to life.
Have questions, comments, or ideas? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.