The National Head Start Association Disaster Relief Fund is used to assist NHSA member Head Start and Early Head Start programs and their staff and families who become victims of natural disasters.
- Program Award - Up to $5,000 per program.
- Individual Award - Up to $500 per employee/parent.
We define a natural disaster as the following: a major adverse event resulting from natural processes of the Earth; examples include floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis, and other geologic processes. A natural disaster can cause loss of life or property damage.
Requirements & Guidelines
A Head Start program seeking NHSA disaster relief funds must be a current program member of the NHSA. Applications must be submitted by the director of the Head Start/Early Head Start program seeking assistance for itself, staff, or parents they serve. The director must be responsible for ensuring the following:
- Accountability for funds.
- Disbursing funds as easily and quickly as possible.
- Funds are not used to duplicate other assistance programs.
- Funds requested should be in proportion to the need.
- Creating easy, short forms for fund recipients to certify and sign.
- Keeping proper records.
- Providing a final report to NHSA 60 days after expending funds.
Total program request, including assistance to program and staff/parents, is not to exceed $5,000. A request for assistance should not already be covered by other assistance such as FEMA, building, automobile, or medical insurance, etc. Examples of acceptable need include (but are not limited to):
- Reimbursement for car or building insurance deductibles
- Expenses incurred by Head Start Parents or Staff displaced from their homes due to disaster damage
- Vehicle repair for damage caused by disaster not covered by insurance
- Medical costs as a result of disaster not covered by insurance
SUPPORT THE FUND
The Head Start community supports one another. If you are able, NHSA encourages tax-deductible charitable donations to firstname.lastname@example.org be made to the Fund. Donations will fund. Donations can be made online or via check.
Checks can be mailed to:
NHSA Disaster Relief Fund
National Head Start Association
P.O, Box 829929
Philadelphia, PA 19182-9929
Head Start can provide support and care for those impacted by the the trauma of natural disasters while also promoting resilience for families and children.