2023 State Fact Sheets
Head Start’s Model: Nationwide, Comprehensive, Multi-Generational
Click on your state to download your state's Head Start Fact Sheet or explore Head Start locations in detail.
Explore NHSA's District and National Fact Sheets
American Indian/Alaska Native (AIAN) Head Start Profile
District of Columbia Profile
Migrant/Seasonal Head Start Profile
Overall National Profile
- Early Head Start Facts & Figures
In the six decades since Head Start's founding, we have reached a new milestone: 37 million children have been served. From early math and reading skills, to confidence and resilience, Head Start helps children build the skills they need to be successful in school and life. Head Start takes a comprehensive approach to meeting the needs of young children and their families. There are four pillars in every program:
- Education: Learning experiences support intellectual, social, and emotional growth
- Health Services: Immunizations, dental, medical, and mental health support, nutritional services, and early screenings ensure healthy development
- Family Involvement: Opportunities for parents and caregivers to be involved in decision making, participate in classes, and volunteer in the program strengthen families
- Wraparound Support: Tailored services meet local and individual needs and link children and families to community supports.
Economic Stability: Head Start participants are 12% less likely to live in poverty as adults and 29% less likely to receive public assistance.
Early Support: Families in Early Head Start have stable home environments and less involvement with the child welfare system.
Advancing Parents: Head Start enhances parents' education level, employment status, and income.
Health: Head Start children have more access to health care and have improved physical health throughout their lifetime.
State Profile Resources
Join NHSA to help advance a strong and innovative early childhood profession.
We need powerful advocates to secure a bright future for Head Start children and families.
Support our early childhood workforce as they shape the lives of the next generation.