Since Head Start's inception in 1965, Dr. Edward Zigler has played a central role in the ongoing development of our program design. This award is to celebrate those local programs who have partnered to create high impact services to children and families.
The nominee must:
- be a Head Start/Early Head Start grant recipient, delegate, or community partner that has demonstrated innovation in program design and/or service delivery.
- provide two letters of reference from two organizational leaders who know the impact of the innovation first hand.
- submit a supporting statement to address the following:
- A description of the primary and partner agency involved in the delivery of services, including demographic information and history in the local community.
- A brief description of the specific innovation, the approach, and names of all partners.
- A brief description of the outcomes or impact of the effort on vulnerable children and families that are unique and/or go beyond Head Start's performance standards.
Past Edward Zigler Innovation Award Recipients
- 2021-22: Community Action Partnership, Decatur, AL
- 2020-21: Community Partnership for Child Development, Colorado Springs, CO
- 2019-20: Orange County Head Start, Orange County, CA
- 2018-19: Pocono Services for Families and Children, Tobyhanna, PA
- 2017-18: Skagit/Islands Head Start & ECEAP, Mount Vernon, WA
- 2016-17: North Idaho College Head Start, Coeur d'Alene, ID
NHSA General Rules and Regulations
NHSA Scholarship and Award recipients serve as models and ambassadors for the Head Start community. Recipients will be encouraged to share successful strategies with others during NHSA conferences, institutes, and gatherings.
- Applicant must be associated with a program that is a current member of NHSA.
- An individual may not be nominated for more than one scholarship or award per year.
- Local member programs may not nominate more than one person or program.
- Applications must be submitted online and incomplete applications will not be considered; nominees will be contacted primarily by e-mail.
- Individuals selected for an award or scholarship must be able to provide required information to redeem cash awards.
- Applicant must be willing to allow NHSA to publicize their nomination.
- NHSA board members, staff, and family members are ineligible.