In honor of Head Start’s proven model of success, the National Head Start Alumni Scholarship is a non-renewable merit award to celebrate Head Start student achievement in high school and support students as they begin the next leg of their educational journey.
Scholarship winners will receive an award of $5,000 and a commemorative certificate. Funds must be applied to the documented cost of tuition or books at a two-year or four-year institution whose accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
The nominee must:
- Provide proof of enrollment in a Head Start or Early Head Start program as a child for one or more years.
- Provide a cover letter with key details about the nominee and the nominee's family and connection to Head Start as a child.
- Submit proof of the nominee’s status as a high school senior on target to graduate with at least a 2.75 GPA on a 4.0 scale or equivalent as indicated on school transcript.
- Provide three letters of recommendation (two from academic subject teachers who taught the nominee within the last two years and one from a civic/religious organization where the nominee is active).
- Provide proof of the nominee’s application to at least one two-year or four-year academic institution registered by the U.S. Department of Education (proof of enrollment will be required before distribution of funds).
- Comply with all NHSA general rules and regulations as listed on the Scholarships and Awards homepage.
The Head Start Alumni Network sustains Head Start’s legacy for children and families through national advocacy, local support, and meaningful professional connections.