This scholarship honors Ron Herndon’s tireless efforts to champion and support Head Start parents. It celebrates Head Start parents who, through their own efforts to mobilize other parents and community members, have created real change in their Head Start programs and/or communities.
The nominee must be enrolled at an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Scholarship winners will receive an award of $2,500 and a commemorative certificate. Funds may be applied to the documented cost of tuition or books.
The nominee must:
- Have a child enrolled in a Head Start or Early Head Start program
- Be a high school graduate or GED recipient, be pursuing a post-secondary education, and submit proof of acceptance or enrollment in an institution of higher learning
- Provide two letters of reference from two people who know the nominee as a student and as a Head Start or Early Head Start parent
- Provide a personal statement addressing the following:
- Details about the nominee, the nominee's family, and their connection to Head Start or Early Head Start
- Activities and mobilizing efforts contributed by the nominee that affected change in their local Head Start program or community
- Personal education and professional goals
- Comply with all NHSA general rules and regulations as listed on the Scholarships & Awards homepage.
Past Ron Herndon Head Start Parent Scholarship Recipients
2022-23: Asli Mohamed, Reach Up, Inc., Saint Cloud, MN
2021-22: Paris Hill, Sunbelt Human Advancement Resources, Greenville, SC
2020-21: Sasha Reese, Episcopal Children's Services, Jacksonville, FL
2019-20: Lara Urdenta, Orange County Head Start, Orlando, FL
2018-19: Amy Hurley, Sunbelt Human Advancement Resources, Greenville, SC
2017-18: Omome Ayemhenre, Lutheran Services of Florida, Duval County, FL