|Job Title||Academy Associate|
|Reports To||Manager, The Academy|
|Post Date||May 6, 2022|
|Start Date||July 1, 2022|
|Location||Our offices are located in Alexandria, VA. All of our positions are currently remote. We will continue to assess our operations as the pandemic evolves.|
|FLSA Status||Exempt, Full-Time|
The opportunity to succeed in school and in life, regardless of circumstances at birth, is a core American value. For the past six decades, the Head Start community has embraced the challenge of delivering on that value and changing life trajectories for the nation’s most vulnerable children and families. A strong and sustainable future for Head Start will mean the success of generations of children who may otherwise struggle throughout their lives. Their future success rests on the knowledge, commitment, and collaboration of families, programs, researchers, and policymakers.
NHSA is a unique organization looking to grow intentionally and to find the right person for the right opportunity on our team. If you are looking to be part of an organization that is static, where things are predictable, and challenges are hard to come by, you should not work with us. If you are interested in being a responsible contributor while flexing your curiosities and creativity, keep reading.
We look for flexibility, good judgment, and people capable of evolving. Your growth and performance are important to us because we know that a better you makes us better. We pride ourselves on not being bureaucratic. We are seeking a highly motivated, organized, detail-oriented person for the position of Academy Associate to join the team remotely and complement the growing unit of The Academy. The Academy at NHSA curates and provides training opportunities to the Head Start community and the Associate will support the administrative and creative work associated with these offerings.
Do you believe that every child, regardless of the circumstances at birth, has the ability to succeed in life? Do you believe in providing America’s most vulnerable children, families, and communities with the opportunities they need in order to succeed? The Academy Associate will have the opportunity to contribute to that endeavor.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position will be charged with providing clear, compelling, and easy to navigate online courses for our members and community partners. This position plays a key role in efforts to grow Head Start’s and NHSA's professional development offerings, streamline processes, and organize content.
- Apply for and maintain Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for The Academy/NHSA
- Apply for and maintain state training requirements for The Academy/NHSA to be an approved training organization
- Provide delightful and attentive customer service and triage the help desk tickets to respond to participant inquiries (password resets and other technical concerns) and resolve program-related questions by phone or email in a timely manner.
- Assist with collaboration with the Marketing/Communications, IT units, and others to support content creation and optimize content for web and various other digital communication channels
- Transcribe videos and upload to design software
- Work with content experts and volunteer reviewers to develop and curate course content
- Execute and recommend changes to online course architecture, content, linking, and other factors to improve the learning experience
- Contribute to creative brainstorming sessions through tracking, reporting, and analyzing learner analytics, reviewer feedback, and team discussions; helps to develop new ideas for content building and community engagement
- Communicate and resolve problems effectively and in a timely manner within the NHSA team, the Head Start community, and partners including trainers, reviewers, graders, and other contracts.
- Other relevant duties to accomplishing our mission as assigned.
- Passion for Head Start’s commitment to ensuring every vulnerable child has the opportunity to succeed
- Bachelor’s degree required, 1-2 years of strong demonstrated organization and customer service skills
- Excellent written communication, including proofreading, grammar, spelling, and editing skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general procedures;
- Work independently and be proactive while being highly collaborative and a dependable team-player
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Business proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive and Suite, and others for course planning and scheduling management.
- Experience with online course management systems such as Articulate and Accord as well as ClickUp project management are a plus.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL HEAD START ASSOCIATION
NHSA is a nonprofit organization committed to the belief that every child, regardless of circumstances at birth, has the ability to succeed in life. NHSA is the voice for more than 1 million children, 275,000 staff, and over 1,600 Head Start grant recipients in the U.S. Since 1974, NHSA has worked diligently for policy changes that ensure all eligible children have access to the Head Start model of support for the whole child, family, and community.
OUR MISSION AND VISION
NHSA's vision is for Head Start to lead—to be the untiring voice that will not be quiet until every vulnerable child is served with the Head Start model of support for the whole child, the family, and the community—and to advocate—to work diligently for policy and institutional changes that ensure all vulnerable children and families have what they need to succeed. NHSA's mission is to coalesce, inspire, and support the Head Start field as a leader in early childhood development and education.
OUR CORE VALUES
- We are determined to play a valued and visible national leadership role in this country’s efforts to educate and serve its most vulnerable children and families.
- We recognize change is constant and are building a flexible, nimble organization that values innovation and can respond effectively to change.
- We are actively committed to being a high-impact organization that evaluates effort and measures outcomes; our commitment extends to helping Head Start value and use measurements effectively.
- We value partnerships and collaboration and at our core, we are relationship-based.
- We celebrate Head Start alumni, both graduates and parents, and the lasting impact that they are having in this country.
- We are accountable to our members and funders, seeking high standards of governance, carefully stewarding resources, operating transparently, and living up to the highest standards of quality.
NHSA is proud of our inclusive, collaborative, and professional culture. We value and reward teamwork, initiative, creativity, and intellectual and professional growth and we seek those qualities in our candidates.
- Collaboration: NHSA works in teams—we share ideas, brainstorm endlessly, and constantly seek innovative ideas that advance NHSA’s and Head Start’s missions.
- Vision: NHSA values colleagues who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and bring a relentless passion for our mission.
- Creativity: NHSA team members use data to form original insights. We find ways to incorporate innovative ideas and approaches that exist in the rich and vital Head Start community.
- Mindfulness: NHSA has an organization-wide commitment to strive for excellence; we set clear objectives, achieve ambitious goals, ensure accountability for results, and focus on our impact.
- Curiosity: NHSA values those who are curious and hungry for knowledge. Reflecting Head Start’s six decades of commitment to continuous improvement, our staff is committed to personal and professional growth, understanding, and commitment to our mission.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with Academy Associate in the subject line.
NHSA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Join NHSA to help advance a strong and innovative early childhood profession.
We need powerful advocates to secure a bright future for Head Start children and families.
Support our early childhood workforce as they shape the lives of the next generation.