Data Products Manager
|Job Title||Data Products Manager|
|Unit||Center for Effective Practice|
|Reports To||Senior Director of Data|
|Post Date||September 22, 2022|
|Location||Our offices are located in Alexandria, VA. All of our positions are currently remote. We will continue to assess our operations as the pandemic evolves.|
The opportunity to succeed in school and in life, regardless of circumstances at birth, is a core American value. For the past six decades, the Head Start community has embraced the challenge of delivering on that value and changing life trajectories for the nation’s most vulnerable children and families. A strong and sustainable future for Head Start will mean the success of generations of children who may otherwise struggle throughout their lives. Their future success rests on the knowledge, commitment, and collaboration of families, programs, researchers, and policymakers.
NHSA is a unique organization looking to grow intentionally and to find the right person for the right opportunity on our team. If you are looking to be part of an organization that is static, where things are predictable, and challenges are hard to come by, you should not work with us. If you are interested in being a responsible contributor while flexing your curiosities and creativity, keep reading.
We are seeking to hire a Data Products Manager to join us in our support of the Head Start field. They will be primarily responsible for supporting NHSA’s internal and external data products, including NHSA’s proprietary data tool, Parent Gauge. A strong candidate will have good technical and analytical skills, but also creativity and strategic thinking.
Parent Gauge is a web-based application used by Head Start staff to conduct interviews with parents of enrolled children. The Data Products Manager will drive all components of managing and marketing the Parent Gauge product, including consulting with developers on product roadmap and release plans, bug tracking, and backlog development and management; customer support; and product sales and marketing.
In addition to leading the Parent Gauge tool, the Data Products Manager will provide support in meeting the NHSA’s internal data needs. This data work will support NHSA’s advocacy efforts, policy analyses, conferences, and professional development opportunities for the Head Start field, and includes tasks such as creating surveys and running data analyses.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
External Data Products (Parent Gauge)
- Product management, including: product roadmap and release plan, backlog development and management with user stories and acceptance criteria, bug tracking, sprint planning, and user acceptance testing and approval.
- Product marketing: Contributing to sales efforts, sales webinars, and marketing messages.
- Customer support: Product walkthroughs, responding to technical support emails, creating technical support resources, such as webinars, videos, and user guides.
- Analyze user workflows to arrive at a clear vision of needs to optimize the user experience.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Parent Gauge tool, users, workflows, and value proposition.
Internal Data Products
- Supporting our internal expertise on Head Start data, including collecting, cleaning, analyzing, and visualizing to inform program practice, ongoing research, policy recommendations, and other purposes.
- Creating and analyzing results of surveys in the areas of: Government affairs, state affairs, conferences, effective practice, membership, and more. Departments will serve as content experts in these areas, while the product manager will serve as the survey/data expert.
- Supporting internal quality improvement and data efforts within NHSA.
- Other relevant duties to accomplishing our mission as assigned.
- Passion for Head Start’s commitment to ensuring every vulnerable child has the opportunity to succeed.
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to handle, prioritize, communicate and troubleshoot multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Bachelor’s degree or 1-2 years of relevant experience
- Experience working with Python, R, MatLab or similar
- Capacity to design and execute multiple projects, with both creativity and high-quality work, while staying on deadline
- Great interpersonal skills and humor under pressure.
- Good judgment, flexibility, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly and confidently to new challenges and job requirements
ABOUT THE NATIONAL HEAD START ASSOCIATION
NHSA is a nonprofit organization committed to the belief that every child, regardless of circumstances at birth, has the ability to succeed in life. NHSA is the voice for more than 1 million children, 275,000 staff, and over 1,600 Head Start grant recipients in the U.S. Since 1974, NHSA has worked diligently for policy changes that ensure all eligible children have access to the Head Start model of support for the whole child, family, and community.
OUR MISSION AND VISION
NHSA's vision is for Head Start to lead—to be the untiring voice that will not be quiet until every vulnerable child is served with the Head Start model of support for the whole child, the family, and the community—and to advocate—to work diligently for policy and institutional changes that ensure all vulnerable children and families have what they need to succeed. NHSA's mission is to coalesce, inspire, and support the Head Start field as a leader in early childhood development and education.
OUR CORE VALUES
- We are determined to play a valued and visible national leadership role in this country’s efforts to educate and serve its most vulnerable children and families.
- We recognize change is constant and are building a flexible, nimble organization that values innovation and can respond effectively to change.
- We are actively committed to being a high-impact organization that evaluates effort and measures outcomes; our commitment extends to helping the Head Start field value and uses measurements effectively.
- We value partnerships and collaboration and at our core, we are relationship-based.
- We celebrate Head Start alumni, both graduates and parents, and the lasting impact that are having in this country.
- We are accountable to our members and funders, seeking high standards of governance, carefully stewarding resources, operating transparently, and living up to the highest standards of quality.
NHSA is proud of our inclusive, collaborative, and professional culture. We value and reward teamwork, initiative, creativity, and intellectual and professional growth. We seek those qualities when considering people to join our team.
- Collaboration: NHSA works in teams—we share ideas, brainstorm endlessly, and constantly seek innovative ideas that advance NHSA’s and Head Start’s missions.
- Vision: NHSA values colleagues who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and bring a relentless passion for our mission.
- Creativity: NHSA team members use data to form original insights. We find ways to incorporate innovative ideas and approaches that exist in the rich and vital Head Start community.
- Mindfulness: NHSA has an organization-wide commitment to strive for excellence; we set clear objectives, achieve ambitious goals, ensure accountability for results, and focus on our impact.
- Continuous Learning and Intellectual Growth: NHSA values those who are curious and hungry for knowledge. Reflecting Head Start’s 55 years of commitment to continuous improvement, our staff is committed to personal and professional growth, understanding, and commitment to our mission.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with Data Products Manager in the subject line.
NHSA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.