Director of Human Resources
|Chief Financial Officer
|November 27, 2023
|Our offices are located in Alexandria, VA.
While we are committed to a distributed approach with staff working remotely from across the nation, we prefer candidates
from or willing to move to the Washington, D.C., area for this role.
If the prospect of contributing to NHSA's mission resonates with you, we invite you to submit your résumé, a cover letter detailing your experiences and your vision for an inclusive workplace, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com with HR Director in the subject line. Join us in creating a workplace that reflects the authenticity and purpose Head Start stands for!
The National Head Start Association is a non-profit organization committed to promoting and advocating for the well-being of children, families, and communities through comprehensive early childhood education and support services. At the heart of the National Head Start Association is a commitment to nurturing the potential in every child, regardless of circumstance.
We believe in the transformative power of early childhood education, and we are on a mission to create lasting impact for children and families nationwide. Rooted in collaboration, innovation, and shared values, our workplace values authenticity, shared goals, and the genuine desire to contribute to something meaningful. Our organization thrives on a culture of collaboration, innovation, and inclusivity. We believe that by investing in our people, we enhance our ability to create lasting impact for children and families across the nation.
To that end, We are on the lookout for a vibrant and passionate Director of Human Resources to join our team. This individual will be a key player in championing NHSA's unique culture, ensuring that our workplace is not only efficient and compliant but also warm, supportive, and reflective of our values. We are a relatively small team, but one that has been steadily growing and we’re in need of bringing some additional structure to our internal systems and processes. As the driving force behind our people strategy, you'll be at the forefront of cultivating a workplace culture that inspires excellence and embraces diversity.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cultural Stewardship
- Infuse NHSA's core values into HR strategies, policies, and programs.
- Act as a cultural ambassador, fostering an environment of trust, collaboration, and appreciation for diversity.
- Talent Cultivation
- Lead the charge in attracting and retaining talent that aligns with NHSA's mission and values.
- Collaborate closely with department heads to understand the nuances of each team and facilitate an inclusive hiring process.
- People-Centric Approach
- Proactively address employee concerns and feedback, embodying a people-centric philosophy.
- Cultivate an atmosphere where all voices are heard, fostering an inclusive and participatory work environment.
- Continuous Learning
- Develop innovative training and development programs that reflect NHSA's commitment to professional growth.
- Create avenues for ongoing learning and skill development, ensuring our team stays ahead in the ever-evolving landscape of early childhood education.
- Benefits with Heart
- Design and administer benefits programs that not only comply with regulations but also reflect our care for the well-being of our employees.
- Ensure that our benefits package aligns with the diverse needs of our workforce.
- Inspired Leadership
- Lead by example, promoting a culture of inspiration and motivation.
- Collaborate with leadership to identify and nurture emerging leaders within NHSA.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Spearhead NHSA's commitment to fostering a workplace that celebrates diversity, promotes equity, and embraces inclusion.
- Collaborate with all levels of the organization to implement DEI initiatives that resonate with our mission.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field (Master's degree preferred).
- SHRM-SCP or SPHR certification is highly desirable.
- Proven experience as an HR leader, preferably within a dynamic, mission-driven organization..
- Strong knowledge of HR laws, regulations, and best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Leadership style that combines vision with empathy, creating a collaborative and positive work environment.
Salary is negotiable and is based on a variety of factors including prior experience, etc. NHSA offers a competitive benefit package which we’re happy to share with you as the process moves forward.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL HEAD START ASSOCIATION
NHSA is a nonprofit organization committed to the belief that every child, regardless of circumstances at birth, has the ability to succeed in life. NHSA is the voice for more than 800,000 children, 275,000 staff, and over 1,600 Head Start grant recipients in the United States. Since 1974, NHSA has worked diligently for policy changes that ensure all at-risk children have access to the Head Start model of support for the whole child, the family, and the community.
OUR MISSION AND VISION
NHSA’s vision is for Head Start to lead—to be the untiring voice that will not be quiet until every vulnerable child is served with the Head Start model of support for the whole child, the family, and the community—and to advocate—to work diligently for policy and institutional changes that ensure all vulnerable children and families have what they need to succeed. NHSA’s mission is to coalesce, inspire, and support the Head Start field as a leader in early childhood development and education.
OUR CORE VALUES
- We are determined to play a valued and visible national leadership role in this country’s efforts to educate and serve its most vulnerable children and families.
- We recognize change is constant and are building a flexible, nimble organization that values innovation and can respond effectively to change.
- We are actively committed to being a high-impact organization that evaluates effort and measures outcomes; our commitment extends to helping the Head Start field value and uses measurements effectively.
- We value partnerships and collaboration and at our core, we are relationship-based.
- We celebrate Head Start alumni, both graduates and parents, and the lasting impact that they are having in this country.
- We are accountable to our members and funders, seeking high standards of governance, carefully stewarding resources, operating transparently, and living up to the highest standards of quality.
NHSA is proud of our inclusive, collaborative, and professional culture. We value and reward teamwork, initiative, creativity, and intellectual and professional growth. We seek those qualities when considering people to join our team.
- Collaboration: NHSA works in teams—we share ideas, brainstorm endlessly, and constantly seek innovative ideas that advance NHSA’s and Head Start’s missions.
- Vision: NHSA values colleagues who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and bring a relentless passion for our mission.
- Creativity: NHSA team members use data to form original insights. We find ways to incorporate innovative ideas and approaches that exist in the rich and vital Head Start community.
- Mindfulness: NHSA has an organization-wide commitment to strive for excellence; we set clear objectives, achieve ambitious goals, ensure accountability for results, and focus on our impact.
- Curiosity: NHSA values those who are curious and hungry for knowledge. Reflecting Head Start’s 55 years of commitment to continuous improvement, our staff is committed to personal and professional growth, understanding, and commitment to our mission.
NHSA IS AN EQUAL-OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Join NHSA to help advance a strong and innovative early childhood profession.
We need powerful advocates to secure a bright future for Head Start children and families.
Support our early childhood workforce as they shape the lives of the next generation.