CDA Training Pathways
Online • Live or On-Demand • 120 PD Hrs
This program guides candidates through the entire CDA credentialing process. The self-paced coursework gives learners the flexibility to study on their own schedule while dedicated faculty provide one-on-one coaching and additional support to ensure all of our learners complete the entire CDA program.
Earning a CDA® credential demonstrates educators’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in the early childhood education field as well as their commitment to professional development. Designed for working Head Start and Early Head Start professionals, The Academy’s CDA® Training Pathways program gives learners the flexibility and support they need to achieve their goals.
Learners can complete the training on-demand or have access to the full pathway—completely online. Which program is right for you? Explore the options:
|Features||On-Demand Program||Live Training Pathway|
|Best-in-class preparation to take the Council of Professional Recognition's CDA Exam (120 hours of education)||✓||✓|
|Exclusive Head Start modules, featuring the knowledge to succeed in any Head Start classroom across the country||✓||✓|
|Coursework activities to prepare a professional portfolio throughout the course||✓||✓|
|All course materials, including the CDA Competency Standards book||✓|
|CDA exam cost as well as the verification visit; both are mandatory requirements to obtain the CDA credential||✓|
|Regular online meetings with CDA Professional Development coaches||✓|
|One-on-one check-ins on deadlines and milestones||✓|
|Portfolio Review by professional development coach||✓|
|Access to a support guide to identify mentors within their program||✓|
|Support scheduling verification visit and CDA exam.||✓|
|Access to a national cohort of peers||✓|
|Bonus: A Pathway Beyond||On-Demand Program||Live Training Pathway|
|Enrollment support to National University||✓||✓|
|Six semester credits towards a bachelor’s degree at National University. This credit-bearing program is recognized as the equivalent of taking the following courses: "ECE 201: The Growing Child: Zero to 8" and "HED 220: Health, Nutrition, and Safety."||✓||✓|
The CDA Pathway is designed for educators working in the following settings: 1) preschool; 2) with infants and toddlers; 3) family child care; and 4) home visitor environments. In addition to meeting the Council for Professional Recognition’s coursework requirements, this training provides learners with everything they need to know to succeed in Head Start.
- On-Demand: Anytime!
- Live Training: New cohorts are accepted on a monthly basis (See registration page for more information on upcoming availability)
Target Audience: Instruction and Effective Practice, Parents and Families, Support Services
- High school diploma/GED or be enrolled in a high school career and technical program.
- 480 hours of experience working with children in the group setting the candidate is earning the CDA in (Infant/Toddler or Preschool). The CDA candidate should have 80% of these hours completed by the time they apply for the CDA credential with the Council for Professional Recognition.
Completion Timeline/Duration: Four months
Head Start Alignment: Includes alignments with the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework in each module.
The CDA Course modules are aligned with the CDA Competency Standards.
- To establish and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment
- To advance physical and intellectual competence
- To support social and emotional development and to provide positive guidance
- To establish positive and productive relationships with families
- To ensure a well-run, purposeful program that is responsive to participants needs
- To maintain a commitment to professionalism
- Learn to work effectively with children and families by understanding and implementing the CDA competency standards in daily work with children in a classroom setting
- Gain a deeper understanding of child development principles and their effective implementation in each learning experience throughout the day
- Identify key elements of management and professionalism in early childhood
Professional Development Coaches
Dedicated faculty members provide one-on-one support and help guide learners through the entire credentialing process.
Live Online Training Program
Regular Rate: $2,000
NHSA Member Rate: $1,200
Regular Rate: $425
NHSA Member Rate: $295
- Online, Self-paced Coursework
- Six Months of Access to Online Course
- Video Content
- Access to Cohort of Peers
- Discussion Forums
- Certificate of Completion
- Best-in-class preparation to take The Council of Professional Recognition's CDA Exam
- Enrollment support to National University
- Six Semester Credits
What learners are saying...
“I learned so much and couldn't have done it with out the very helpful program support. They encouraged me and guided me through my success! It was a great experience and I gained valuable information to use in the classroom.”
- Jessica Cartagena, Classroom Aid, Luzerne County Head Start, Inc.
“The video content was so valuable. I am a visual learner so I needed to see what to do instead of just reading the books and reading the materials online.”
- Evelyn Wilson, The School District of Philadelphia
"I did this course online and had support to serve as a cheerleader that kept me going!"
- Martha Cryor, Classroom Assistant, The School District of Philadelphia
"This course presents state-of-the-art information in a variety of engaging and interactive formats."
- Andi Lybrand, Early Childhood Specialist and Curriculum Development Consultant
"At first it seemed too simple, but the teachers were able to focus more on the quality of the content rather than the quantity of content that we have experienced from other curricula. We have now received certificates for all 16 of our latest CDA Cohort which was our first cohort to use NHSA’s curriculum!"
- Amy Shirley, Career Development & Credential Team Lead, CAP Tulsa (On-Demand Program)
The Head Start Promise Pathway
Head Start’s CDA to BA Pathway Earn a Bachelor’s Degree in ECE with a Head Start focus!…
Parent and Family Engagement Conference
NHSA’s annual Parent and Family Engagement Conference is the only national event that focuses on how Head...