Head Start Orientation Basics
Online • On-Demand • 1 PD Hr
This one-hour dynamic course provides the basic information required to work or volunteer in a Head Start or an Early Head Start classroom.
Head Start Orientation is a one-hour long course that provides critical information required to work or volunteer in Head Start and Early Head Start classrooms. The course covers core topics to support children’s well-being and school-readiness skills. Head Start Orientation helps programs quickly expand their temporary staffing capacity by preparing new substitutes and volunteers to have high-impact interactions with children.
In addition to providing an introduction to Head Start policies, procedures, and guidelines, Head Start Orientation prepares learners to successfully implement positive strategies such as active supervision and positive redirection.
This course is a great first step for individuals who are seeking long-term placements or increasing their involvement. This course is recommended to be paired with Head Start Basics.
Start Date: On-Demand
Course Level: Beginner
Target Audience: Instruction and Effective Practice, Parents and Families
Course Meeting Times: None
Completion Timeline/Duration: One Month
Head Start Alignment:
- Supports programs in meeting Part 1302: Program Operations, Subpart I-Human Resources Management requirements of the Head Start Program Performance Standards to ensure staff and volunteers are qualified and supported to effectively provide services.
- Supports programs in meeting Part 1303.4: Federal Financial Assistance, Non-Federal Match, and Waiver requirements in which “a grantee must contribute 20 percent as non-federal match each budget period.” Volunteer time can be calculated into dollar amounts.
- Online, Self-Paced Coursework
- 1 Hour of Course Material
- Video Content
- Access to a National Cohort of Peers
- Discussion Forums
- 45 Days of Access to Online Course
- Digital Badge
- Certificate of Completion
- 24/7 Access to Transcript
Head Start Basics
Available in Pre-Service Bundle
This course trains new and returning staff on the basics of Head Start—the...
Policy Council Basics
Policy Council Basics provides an overview of Head Start’s structure, helping parents grow as leaders and decision-makers.