Individuals with Disabilities Education Act & Americans with Disabilities Act Basics
Online • On-Demand • 2 PD Hrs
This course will provide you with a strong understanding of the policies and practices in identifying potential learning delays and disabilities and how to provide additional and appropriate services to children.
One key responsibility of Head Start and Early Head Start programs is to identify potential learning delays and disabilities in their children. This course covers the policies surrounding special education in Head Start and Early Head Start programs. Learners who successfully complete this course will understand the requirements set forth by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and how these policies impact their responsibilities. The course will provide you with the foundational aspects of ADA and IDEA to help with identifying signs, opening dialogue with families, providing resources, and helping children overcome challenges in early childhood.
Start Date: Available on-demand
Course Level: Beginner
Target Audience: Instruction and Effective Practice, Leadership and Management, Program Operations, and Support Services
Course Meeting Times: None
Completion Timeline/Duration: One Month
Alignment with the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework (ELOF): This course supports programs in meeting the 1302.60 Full participation in program services and activities of the Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS) in which a program must “ensure enrolled children with disabilities, including but not limited to those who are eligible for services under IDEA, and their families receive all applicable program services delivered in the least restrictive possible environment and that they fully participate in all program activities.”
Module Topics: Special Education, Disabilities, IDEA, ADA
- Learners will be able to define IDEA and ADA and understand the difference between them.
- Learners will understand the requirements set forth by the HSPPS related to serving children with disabilities.
- Learns will gain skills to help with identifying signs, opening dialogue with families, providing resources, and helping children overcome challenges in early childhood.
- Online, Self-paced Content
- 2 Hours of Course Material
- Video Content
- 45 Days of Access to Online Course
- Digital Badge
- Certificate of Completion with Professional Development Hours
- 24/7 Access to Transcript
Bias Buster Basics
Educate and have an open dialogue with your staff on the topics of diversity, inclusion, and equity...
Head Start Basics
Available in Pre-Service Bundle
This course trains new and returning staff on the basics of Head Start—the...