Mandated Reporting & Child Protection Basics
Online • On-Demand • 2 PD Hrs
This course covers general information about the legal responsibilities of mandated reporters and how to recognize and respond to possible abuse or maltreatment. Learners will finish this course knowing who a mandated reporter is, what a mandated reporter’s responsibilities are, and how they themselves must carry out those responsibilities.
By law, all staff who work with or come in contact with children are mandated reporters. Knowing the basic signs of child abuse, maltreatment, and neglect and how to effectively respond is vital knowledge for all Head Start, Early Head Start, and child care staff. This course covers general information about the legal responsibilities of mandated reporters and how to recognize and respond to possible abuse or maltreatment. Learners will finish this course knowing who a mandated reporter is, what a mandated reporter’s responsibilities are, and their own responsibilities as mandated reporters.
Course Level: Available on-demand
Target Audience: Instruction and Effective Practice, Leadership and Management, Program Operations, Support Services
Course Meeting Times: None
Completion Timeline/Duration: One Month
Alignment with the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework (ELOF): This course supports programs in meeting 1302.47: Safety Practices of the Head Start Performance Standards in which “a program must establish, train staff on, implement, and enforce a system of health and safety practices that ensure children are kept safe at all times.
Module Topics: Child Abuse, Maltreatment, Mandated Reporting
- Learners will understand the definitions of child abuse, maltreatment, and mandated reporting.
- Learners will know how to recognize the signs of potential abuse or maltreatment in the children they serve.
- Learners will understand their responsibilities as mandated reporters and know the process for when and how to make such reports.
- Online, Self-paced Content
- 2 Hours of Course Material
- Video Content
- 45 Days of Access to Online Course
- Digital Badge
- Certificate of Completion with Professional Development Hours
- 24/7 Access to Transcript